Re: Add pgbench option: CHECKPOINT before starting benchmark - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add pgbench option: CHECKPOINT before starting benchmark
Date
List pgsql-hackers
KONDO Mitsumasa <kondo.mitsumasa@lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> My patches option difinition is here.
> [mitsu-ko@localhost pgbench]$ ./pgbench --help
> ~
> -N, --no-checkpoint      do not run CHECKPOINT after initialization
> ~
> In latest commited pgbench, -N is "--skip-some-updates  skip updates of
> pgbench_tellers and pgbench_branches". But I cannot understand why -N is this
> option, so I set this option -u, and -N is "do not run CHECKPOINT option".

> What do you think?

I think it's a bad idea to change the meaning of a pre-existing option
letter, and a worse idea to change pgbench's default behavior.  Instead,
have the option be "--checkpoint  do a CHECKPOINT after initialization".

It doesn't look like there's any free single-letter option that goes
nicely with "checkpoint" either, but that's life.