Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/5/15 7:36 PM, wambacher wrote:
> Jim Nasby-5 wrote
>> >On 3/5/15 2:06 PM, wambacher wrote:
>> >Crashed? Or hit by the OOM killer? What's the log say?
> killed by OOM, but has only 1.2 GB mem, which is ok to me.

Ok, but...

>> >What's the largest memory size that a vacuum/autovac against that table
>> >gets to compared to other backends? You meantioned 80-90% of memory
>> >before, but I don't know if that was for analyze or what.
> vacuum

Which is it? Is the vacuum process is using 1.2GB (5% of memory) or is
it using 90% (~22GB)?

BTW, with 1GB shared buffers and 64MB maintenance_work_mem top reporting
a size of 1.2GB doesn't surprise me at all (assuming it's including
shared memory in there).

This is starting to sound like a regular OOM problem. Have you tried the
steps in
http://postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/kernel-resources.html#LINUX-MEMORY-OVERCOMMIT
?