Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wambacher
Subject Re: autovacuum worker running amok - and me too ;)
Date
List pgsql-general
Jim Nasby-5 wrote
> On 3/5/15 2:06 PM, wambacher wrote:
> Crashed? Or hit by the OOM killer? What's the log say?

killed by OOM, but has only 1.2 GB mem, which is ok to me.

> While this is going on you might as well disable autovac for that table.
> It'll keep crashing and will interfere with your manual vacuums.

did it this morning, the crash was running "vacuum verbose planet_osm_ways"
by cli.

> It sounds at this point like the problem is in vacuuming, not analyze.
> Can you confirm? If so, please forgo analyzing the table until we can
> get vacuum figured out.

yes, it's the vacuum task.

> What's the largest memory size that a vacuum/autovac against that table
> gets to compared to other backends? You meantioned 80-90% of memory
> before, but I don't know if that was for analyze or what.

vacuum

> I wonder if we have some kind of memory leak in GIN's vacuum support...

may be.

At least i did:

- droped the gin-index
- cluster
- analyze
- vacuum

all without any problems.

now i'll add the index again and tomorrow do another vacuum by hand.

2:30 in germany, feeling tired ;)

Regards
walter