Re: Partitioning WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: Partitioning WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 26-02-2015 AM 05:15, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 02/24/2015 12:13 AM, Amit Langote wrote:
>> Here is an experimental patch that attempts to implement this.
>
> This looks awesome.

Thanks!

> I would love to have it for 9.5, but I guess the
> patch isn't nearly baked enough for that?

I'm not quite sure what would qualify as baked enough for 9.5 though we
can surely try to reach some consensus on various implementation aspects
and perhaps even get it ready in time for 9.5.

>> where key_spec consists of partition key column names and optional
>> operator class per column. Currently, there are restrictions on the
>> key_spec such as allowing only column names (not arbitrary expressions
>> of them), only one column for list strategy, etc.
>
> What's the obstacle to supporting expressions and/or IMMUTABLE
> functions?  I think it's fine to add this feature without them
> initially, I'm just asking about the roadmap for eventually supporting
> expressions in the key spec.

Only one concern I can remember someone had raised is that having to
evaluate an expression for every row during bulk-inserts may end up
being pretty expensive. Though, we might have to live with that.

I think one idea is to learn from ability to use expressions in indexes.

Thanks,
Amit