Re: Commit fest 2014-12, let's begin! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Commit fest 2014-12, let's begin!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/15/2014 08:32 PM, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com
>> wrote:

>>> "polygon <-> point" is for sure not ST_Distance replacement. I was giving
>>> this argument about KNN-GiST with recheck itself. "polygon <-> point" is
>>> needed just as in-core example of KNN-GiST with recheck.
>>>

>> Right. I don't think point <-> polygon is too useful by itself, but we
>> need an example in core that could make use KNN-GiST recheck patch. We
>> can't write a regression test for it otherwise, for starters.
>>
>> Actually, we probably could've used the circle <-> polygon for that just
>> as well...
>
> Did you mean searching for circles or polygons in the last sentence?

circle as the key, on an index on a polygon column. A circle with radius
0 is equivalent to a point, after all.

I'm looking at the knn-gist with recheck patch now, and I see that it
actually adds two more operators: polygon <-> point (commutator of what
I just committed) and circle <-> point. We might want to split those off
into a separate patch too.

- Heikki