Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/12/2014 10:59 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

> On 12 December 2014 at 15:10, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the limited amount of time I can put into a commitfest is
>>> better spent on reviewing patches than on managing the process.
>
> IIRC Tom was pretty much the only person doing patch review for
> probably 5 years during 2003-2008, maybe others. AFAICS he was
> managing that process. Thank you, Tom.
>
> I've never seen him moan loudly about this, so I'm surprised to hear
> such things from people that have done much less.
>
> Any solution to our current problems will come from working together,
> not by fighting.
>
> We just need to do more reviews. Realising this, I have begun to do
> more. I encourage others to do this also.

Simon,

Well said but again, I think a lot of people are hand waving about a
simple problem (within the current structure) and that problem is just
one of submission.

Those doing the patch review/writing need to submit to the authority of
the CFM or CFC (commit fest comittee). That happens and a lot of the
angst around this process goes away.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should             not be surprised when they come back as
Romans."