Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 12/12/2014 06:30 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>
> >Yeah, that would be great, and even better if we could get 2 or 3
> >positions funded so that the success or failure isn't too much tied to
> >a single individual.  But even getting 1 position funded in a
> >stable-enough fashion that someone would be willing to bet on it seems
> >like a challenge.  (Maybe other people here are less risk-averse than
> >I am.)
>
> We (not CMD, the community) with proper incentive could fund this. It really
> wouldn't be that hard. That said, there would have to be a clear
> understanding of expectations, results, and authority.

Uh, really?  Last I looked at the numbers from SPI treasurer reports,
they are not impressive enough to hire a full-time engineer, let alone a
senior one.

The Linux Foundation has managed to pay for Linus Torvalds somehow, so
it does sound possible.  We have a number of companies making money all
over the globe, at least.