Re: performance question: protocol v2 vs v3 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: performance question: protocol v2 vs v3
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 12/03/2014 07:41 PM, Albe Laurenz wrote:
> I didn't know that, thanks for the clarification.

Neither did I until I did some performance analysis work recently.

It's not always strictly true - in particular, if you're using binary
parameters, PgJDBC does a parse and describe, then waits for a response
before sending a bind. So there's an extra round trip there. Same if
you're doing a batch returning generated keys.

In general though, the v3 protocol doesn't add roundtrips.