Re: What is default password for user postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: What is default password for user postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/01/2014 02:30 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 1 December 2014 at 09:08, M Tarkeshwar Rao
> <m.tarkeshwar.rao@ericsson.com <mailto:m.tarkeshwar.rao@ericsson.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,____
>
>     __ __
>
>     I installed version 9.1 in my Ubuntu OS, but not able to login.____
>
>     What is default password for user Postgres?
>

> The postgres user doesn't have a password by default, which is probably
> how you should keep it.  Typically the pg_hba.conf file (which you'll
> find in /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/pg_hba.conf) contains an entry like:
>
> local   all             all                                     trust

Actually my experience is that it is set to:

local   all             postgres                               peer

> So reading from left to right, this allows local connections to all
> databases for all users using trust authentication, meaning it will
> believe you're the postgres user if you say you are, and can be trusted,
> as long as you're connecting over a local connection (i.e. using a unix
> domain socket).  So become the postgres user:

Also there is only a postgres system user created with no login shell.

 From Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostgreSQL

Basic Server Setup

To start off, we need to change the PostgreSQL postgres user password;
we will not be able to access the server otherwise. As the “postgres”
Linux user, we will execute the psql command.

In a terminal, type:

sudo -u postgres psql postgres

Set a password for the "postgres" database role using the command:

\password postgres

and give your password when prompted. The password text will be hidden
from the console for security purposes.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com