Re: Synchronous Replication Timeout - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: Synchronous Replication Timeout
Date
List pgsql-general

Iwould like any transaction on the master that requires writing to fail so I can roll it back. At the moment, when I
commitit just hangs forever or (if I cancel it using ^C in psql or using kill) it commits locally and not on the
synchronousslave. Neither of these options are ok in my use case. I have tried setting statement_timeout but it does
notwork. So my questions are:

>1) Is it possible to rollback transactions that fail to commit after a certain amount of time waiting for the slave?
>
>2) If not, is there any intension of implementing such a feature in the near future?
>
>3) Do any of the answers above change if we are dealing with two-phase commits instead? At the moment it hangs forever
on‘prepare transaction’, ‘commit prepared’ and ‘rollback prepared’ commands.

>Thanks,
>
>Tessa

I don't think this is possible; my understanding (which may or may not be correct) is that PostgreSQL's synchronous
replicationworks by shipping/streaming the WAL records to the standby, which then applies the changes to it's own WAL.
AFAIKThe commit has to happen on the master first, and the master is just blocking and waiting for the standby to
confirmthat it has reached the position in the XLOG and applied that commit.

I think the recommended method might be to have another standby, and specify it in synchronous_standby_names so it can
takeover as the synchronous standby when the first standby disconnects/fails.