Re: PG94RC1- plv8 functions - problem with input parameter length - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: PG94RC1- plv8 functions - problem with input parameter length
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/28/2014 12:18 PM, Misa Simic wrote:

> On Friday, November 28, 2014, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 11/28/2014 07:56 AM, Misa Simic wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         We have found a strange problem with plv8 functions in PG94RC1
>
>         PG 9.3 works fine.
>
>         in PG94RC1 in plv8 functions regardless what function does
>         i.e.nothing
>
>         CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
>         test.test_text_length_plv8(in___param1 text)
>         RETURNS text
>         AS
>         $BODY$
>         return 'OK'
>         $BODY$ LANGUAGE plv8;
>
>         if length of in_param1 is higher then (or equal to) 200 characters
>         connection just brake... current connection and it brakes - other
>         connections as well... Not sure what it does - but all sessions just
>         says server disconnected and we need and can reconect again....
>
>         ie.
>         SELECT test.test_text_length_plv8('__aaaa') works fine
>
>         SELECT

test.test_text_length_plv8('__aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa__aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa__aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa__aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa__aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa__aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa__aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa')

>         exactly 200 chars - just brake conncetion witout any
>         message...but in
>         separate session when we run next command it says:
>
>         WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another
>         server process
>         DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to
>         roll back
>         the current transaction and exit, because another server process
>         exited
>         abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>         HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the
>         database and
>         repeat your command.
>
>         We have tested using pgadmin and psql...
>
>         Versions:
>         PostgreSQL 9.4rc1 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc
>         (Ubuntu
>         4.9.1-16ubuntu6) 4.9.1, 64-bit
>         plv8: 1.5.0-dev1
>
>         The same version of plv8 on PG9.3 - works fine without problems...
>
>         Any suggestions?
>

>     Have you tried this with another language, say plpgsql, to see if
>     this a generic problem or specific to plV8?
>

> Yes, plv8 specific..
>
> Sql, plpgsql, plr, plpythonu work fine...
>
> Though plv8 just produce problems in rc1.. Beta1 no probs....

Given that other PLs are not having problems, this is probably something
that needs to be brought up with the plV8 maintainers:

https://code.google.com/p/plv8js/wiki/PLV8

https://code.google.com/p/plv8js/issues/list

A look at plv8 repo shows the last change was June 7, 2014. A lot has
happened since then in the Postgres 9.4 code, so it is entirely possible
the plv8 code is not aware of the changes.

To get more specific information you could try:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Linux/BSD

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com