Re: dblink_get_connections() result for no connections - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: dblink_get_connections() result for no connections
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 11/25/2014 12:49 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> While fooling around with the array_agg(anyarray) patch, I noted
> that dblink_get_connections() returns NULL if there are no active
> connections.  It seems like an empty array might be a saner
> definition --- thoughts?

(Sorry for the slow response -- was traveling all day yesterday)

The original patch introducing this function is seen here:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/44C50F4A.7050708@joeconway.com

and committed by me here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=52a3ed9fac32e16f6061cbc49046c0bd97f8f77a

In particular, the original author said:
8<-------------------------
Added functions:
[...]
dblink_get_connections()     List all open dblink connections by name.     Returns a comma separated string of all
connectionnames.     Takes no params

     Example: SELECT string_to_array(dblink_get_connections(), ',');
8<-------------------------

He really did not specify what the return value should be if there are
no connections. Somewhere between submission and commit I changed that
to return an array rather than comma separated string.

To be honest I have no idea why I did not make it an empty array
instead of a NULL in that case, but that does make more sense to me
now that you mention it. Might cause some breakage for people
depending on that though...

Joe

- --
Joe Conway