Re: pg_multixact not getting truncated - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: pg_multixact not getting truncated
Date
Re: pg_multixact not getting truncated  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/20/2014 01:03 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> So that we can have two ways to lose data?
>>>
>>> Forbidding connections to a database doesn't prevent XID or MXID wraparound.
>>
>> It does prevent the user from doing anything about it, though, since
>> they can't manually vacuum template0 without knowing unpublished hackery.
>
> True.  I don't know what to do about that.  Do you?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that template0 should be
"permanently frozen".  That is, all objects in it should be created with
frozen xid and mxids.  After all, nobody can modify anything in it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.