Re: pg_multixact not getting truncated - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_multixact not getting truncated
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> >> So that we can have two ways to lose data?
> >>
> >> Forbidding connections to a database doesn't prevent XID or MXID wraparound.
> >
> > It does prevent the user from doing anything about it, though, since
> > they can't manually vacuum template0 without knowing unpublished hackery.
>
> True.  I don't know what to do about that.  Do you?

Maybe tweak autovacuum so that it vacuum-freezes the non-connectable
template databases when they are multixact_freeze_min_age old -- or
something similar.  That would cause the multixact age to go down to
zero for those databases with enough frequency.