Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/18/2014 04:11 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> <mailto:andrew@dunslane.net>>:
>

>     On 11/18/2014 02:53 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
>
>         On 11/18/14, 9:31 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>             Frankly, I find this whole proposal, and all the suggested
>             alternatives, somewhat ill-conceived. PLPGSQL is a wordy
>             language. If you want something more terse, use something
>             else. Adding these sorts of syntactic sugar warts onto the
>             language doesn't seem like a terribly good way to proceed.
>

>         Such as?
>
>         The enormous advantage of plpgsql is how easy it is to run
>         SQL. Every other PL I've looked at makes that WAY harder. And
>         that's assuming you're in an environment where you can install
>         another PL.
>
>         And honestly, I've never really found plpgsql to be terribly
>         wordy except in a few cases ("assert" being one of them). My
>         general experience has been that when I'm doing an IF (other
>         than assert), I'm doing multiple things in the IF block, so
>         it's really not that big a deal.
>

>     I frequently write one-statement bodies of IF statements. To me
>     that's not a big deal either :-)
>

> anybody did it, but it doesn't need so it is perfect :) I understand
> well to Jim' feeling.
>
> I am looking to Ada 2005 language ... a design of RAISE WITH shows so
> RAISE statement is extensible in Ada too. Sure - we can live without
> it, but I don't think so we do some wrong with introduction RAISE WHEN
> and I am sure, so a live with this feature can be more fun for
> someone, who intensive use this pattern.

(drags out recently purchased copy of Barnes "Ada 2012")

Ada's
    RAISE exception_name WITH "string";

is more or less the equivalent of our
    RAISE level 'format_string';

So I don't think there's much analogy there.

I'm not going to die in a ditch over this, but it does seem to me very
largely unnecessary.

cheers

andrew