Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/18/2014 04:23 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> What is wrong with using IF ?
>>
>> It's a hell of a lot wordier. I've previously created a more sophisticated
>> "assert" framework to allow more control over things, but ended up also
>> using it just for simple sanity checking because it was much nicer than
>> typeing IF THEN RAISE ERROR END IF.
> Why is that not a requirement for a less wordier form of IF?
>
> IF (something) THEN action
>
> Why is this problem specific to RAISE?

Please, no. The use of closed form rather than open form IF statements
is one of the things Ada (and by inheritance PLPGSQL) got right.

Frankly, I find this whole proposal, and all the suggested alternatives,
somewhat ill-conceived. PLPGSQL is a wordy language. If you want
something more terse, use something else. Adding these sorts of
syntactic sugar warts onto the language doesn't seem like a terribly
good way to proceed.

cheers

andrew