Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date
Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:

> > I think the fact that we use symlinks is an implementation detail;
> > aren't them actually junction points, not symlinks, in some Windows
> > cases?
>
> Right, but they provide same functionality as symlinks and now we
> are even planing to provide this feature for both linux and windows as
> both Tom and Robert seems to feel, it's better that way.  Anyhow,
> I think naming any entity generally differs based on individual's
> perspective, so we can go with the name which appeals to more people.
> In case, nobody else has any preference, I will change it to what both
> of us can agree upon (either 'tablespace catalog', 'tablespace_info' ...).

Well, I have made my argument.  Since you're the submitter, feel free to
select what you think is the best name.

> That use case got addressed with -T option with which user can relocate
> tablespace directory (Commit: fb05f3c;  pg_basebackup: Add support for
> relocating tablespaces)

Okay.  As far as I know, -T only works for plain mode, right?  I wonder
if we should make -T modify the tablespace catalog, so that the
resulting file in tar output outputs names mangled per the map; that
would make -T work in tar mode too.  Does that make sense?  (Maybe it
already works that way?  I didn't research.)