Re: Sequence Access Method WIP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: Sequence Access Method WIP
Date
Re: Sequence Access Method WIP  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/11/14 00:45, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2014, at 5:43 PM, Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I don't see how to make that work with ALTER SEQUENCE USING to be honest and I do care quite a lot about that
use-case(I think the ability to convert the "local" sequences to 3rd party ones and back is very important).

> What specific problems do you foresee?  There's an issue if something depends on one of the added sequence columns,
butif that is the case then you had *better* fail.

> I think that the debugability value of making extra sequence columns human-readable is quite high.

My main problem is actually not with having tuple per-seqAM, but more
with the fact that Heikki does not want to have last_value as compulsory
column/parameter. How is the new AM then supposed to know where to pick
up and if it even can pick up?

Services