Re: fix "Success" error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: fix "Success" error messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2019-11-21 02:42, TAKATSUKA Haruka wrote:
>   FATAL: could not access status of transaction ..
>   DETAIL: Could not read from file (pg_clog/.... or pg_xact/....) ...: Success.
>
> This error has caused the server to fail to start with recovery.
> I got a report that it happend repeatedly at the newly generated
> standby cluster. I gave them advice to comfirm the low level server
> environment.
>
> However, in addition to improving the message, should we retry to read
> the rest of the data in the case reading too few bytes?
> What about a limited number of retries instead of a complete loop?

If we thought that would help, there are probably hundreds or more other
places where we read files that would need to be fixed up in the same
way.  That doesn't seem reasonable.

Also, it is my understanding that short reads can in practice only
happen if the underlying storage is having a serious problem, so
retrying wouldn't actually help much.