Re: Patch: add recovery_timeout option to control timeout of restore_command nonzero status code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Patch: add recovery_timeout option to control timeout of restore_command nonzero status code
Date
Responses Re[2]: [HACKERS] Patch: add recovery_timeout option to control timeout of restore_command nonzero status code  (Alexey Vasiliev <leopard_ne@inbox.ru>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/3/14 6:04 AM, Alexey Vasiliev wrote:
>  3. What the patch does in a short paragraph: This patch should add
>     option recovery_timeout, which help to control timeout of
>     restore_command nonzero status code. Right now default value is 5
>     seconds. This is useful, if I using for restore of wal logs some
>     external storage (like AWS S3) and no matter what the slave database
>     will lag behind the master. The problem, what for each request to
>     AWS S3 need to pay, what is why for N nodes, which try to get next
>     wal log each 5 seconds will be bigger price, than for example each
>     30 seconds.

That seems useful.  I would include something about this use case in the
documentation.

> This is my first patch. I am not sure about name of option. Maybe it
> should called "recovery_nonzero_timeout".

The option name had me confused.  At first I though this is the time
after which a running restore_command invocation gets killed.  I think a
more precise description might be restore_command_retry_interval.