Re: pgxml bug (crash) in xslt_proc.c - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Mark Simonetti
Subject Re: pgxml bug (crash) in xslt_proc.c
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Tom,
I hadn't really thought of it as a security issue, it came about from
just trying to use it normally while developing software for one of my
clients.  At first I found it hard to repeat, but I eventually found a
query to repeat the problem 100% of the time. Unfortunately the XML I
used to repeat it is vast and generated from lots of database data so it
would be hard to submit that as a test case (though I can if it would
help by capturing the XML data into a file and sending it along with the
XSLT file).  It seems to be to do with the order in which resources are
freed:

I changed this (xslt_proc.c, pgxml, postgres 9.3.5, line 167 onwards) : -

     xsltFreeStylesheet(stylesheet);
     xmlFreeDoc(restree);
     xmlFreeDoc(doctree);
     xsltFreeSecurityPrefs(xslt_sec_prefs);
     xsltFreeTransformContext(xslt_ctxt);  <== crash here

To this:

     xsltFreeTransformContext(xslt_ctxt);
     xsltFreeSecurityPrefs(xslt_sec_prefs);
     xsltFreeStylesheet(stylesheet);
     xmlFreeDoc(restree);
     xmlFreeDoc(doctree);

No more crash.

The offending part seemed to be freeing the transform "xslt_ctxt"
context before freeing the doc "doctree".  Indeed if I check the XSLT
example with the XSLT distribution
(http://xmlsoft.org/libxslt/downloads.html) they do free the transform
context first.

I'm guessing that when the transform context is freed, it is trying to
free something related to the previously already freed document.

I also switched the order in the "catch" segment just above (line 147
onwards).

Regards,
Mark.