Re: Migration of server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gilberto Castillo
Subject Re: Migration of server
Date
List pgsql-admin

> Hi everybody, this is my first message in this list. The company where i
> work is bringing maintenance service of PostgreSQL to another company, and
> currently they have installed PostgreSQL 9.1.1, and they want to move to
> 9.3 version when it will come out. So, because the difference of versions,
> and because it was installed by compiling it (using source code), and
> because the 9.1.1 installation is in a different directory than the
> default, they decided to replace 9.1.1 version with 9.3 (no upgrade, but
> replace it).
>
> Currently, they only have one database in production of 2.2 GB with some
> procedures and triggers. So, my plan to execute this database installation
> is the next:
>

>    1. Install PostgreSQL 9.3 from postgresql repository
> (yum.postgresql.org)
>    with a different port to avoid interrupt the production PostgreSQL
> instance
>    operation
>    2. Tune the database parameters in postgresql.conf, also create the
> same
>    rules in pg_hba as the production instance, configure log and so on.
>    3. At the end of the operations day, create a backup of the production
>    database and then restore it into the new instance
>    4. Test the new instance with the PHP applications that use it and
>    verify that all is in order
>    5. Stop the old instance and change the port to another port, then
>    change the port of the new instance to 5432 in order to avoid change
> the
>    network configuration, permissions and so on.
>
> But really is the first time that i do that, so i don't know if i'm
> missing
> something or there's something wrong about i'm planning to do, so i will
> appreciate very much if you can guide me about what steps i have to do
> exactly and considerations during this process.

Not, only bad thing is that the 9.3 is still in beta version.

Use 9.2.

Write list in spanish Too ;-)

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>