Re: Why not ISO 8601 format for date values rendered into JSON? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Why not ISO 8601 format for date values rendered into JSON?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/17/2014 08:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I was just going over the release notes, and noticed the bit about
> timestamp and timestamptz now being rendered in a fixed ISO-8601-compliant
> format rather than whatever random DateStyle is in use.  That's fine,
> but I wonder why the same approach wasn't applied to type date?
>
> regression=# set datestyle to postgres;
> SET
>
> regression=# select row_to_json(row(now()));
>                  row_to_json
>   {"f1":"2014-08-17T20:34:54.424237-04:00"}
> (1 row)
>
> regression=# select row_to_json(row(current_date));
>       row_to_json
> ---------------------
>   {"f1":"08-17-2014"}
> (1 row)
>
> Doesn't seem real consistent ...

Good point. Probably because I didn't get a complaint about it, which in
turn is probably because JavaScript's builtin Date class is in fact
(from our POV) more or less a timestamp(tz) type.

See
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Date>

But yes, I agree it should be fixed. Whatever we output should be
suitable as input for the string-argument constructor of class Date.

cheers

andrew