Re: Hokey wrong versions of libpq in apt.postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Hokey wrong versions of libpq in apt.postgresql.org
Date
Re: Hokey wrong versions of libpq in apt.postgresql.org
List pgsql-hackers

> The SO major version should be sufficient for applications to operate
> normally.  If that isn't the case then I agree that we need to review
> the changes we are making to see if the SO should be bumped.  Note that
> Debian's viewpoint on this is more along the lines of "why build against
> an old version if the latest one, whose major SO is the same, exists?"
> This is largely to avoid the hell of versioned Build-Depends and having
> to support multiple sets of -dev packages concurrently (consider that
> builds generally only look for the unversioned '.so' file also..).
>
>> At the same time, there would be more merit in Josh's position if he
>> could point to any *actual* libpq changes that might pose application
>> compatibility problems.  I don't recall that we've made many such,
>> so the above argument might just be hypothetical.
>
> I don't believe it's hypothetical from Josh's perspective, but I didn't
> follow the threads completely to confirm that there was a real issue.
> If there is a real issue here, I'd most likely vote to fix it and
> backpatch it as a bug, though it's not clear if that would be considered
> 'good enough' for this case.

The issue that I specifically ran into is that by using
apt.postgresql.org in its default configuration, I can't add certain
extensions (without jumping through hoops). Simple:

Assume a running 9.2.9 from apt.postgresql.org
apt-get install pgxnclient
sudo pgxnclient install pg_repack

Doesn't work. Because it is looking for libs in /var/lib/postgresql/9.2
not /var/lib/postgresql/9.3.

It also failed on another extension (but I don't recall which one it is).

Yes. I can get the 9.2 libpq but that isn't really the point is it? This
is quite unexpected behavior from an operational perspective. It should
just "work" but it doesn't because we are shipping from
apt.postgresql.org a 9.3 version of libpq.

(protocol versions don't really matter here, this is an operational thing).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>     Thanks,
>
>         Stephen

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should             not be surprised when they come back as
Romans."