Re: Hokey wrong versions of libpq in apt.postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Hokey wrong versions of libpq in apt.postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-hackers
JD,

* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> The issue that I specifically ran into is that by using
> apt.postgresql.org in its default configuration, I can't add certain
> extensions (without jumping through hoops). Simple:
>
> Assume a running 9.2.9 from apt.postgresql.org
> apt-get install pgxnclient
> sudo pgxnclient install pg_repack

> Doesn't work. Because it is looking for libs in
> /var/lib/postgresql/9.2 not /var/lib/postgresql/9.3.

Have you got any postgresql-server-dev package installed?  If not, then
pg_config is going to grab the info for the libpq-dev that's installed,
but I doubt the extension is going to compile without the server-dev
package installed anyway..

In any case, pgxnclient should probably be more intelligent when it's
working under a Debian-based installation where multiple major versions
of PG can be installed.

> Yes. I can get the 9.2 libpq but that isn't really the point is it?
> This is quite unexpected behavior from an operational perspective.
> It should just "work" but it doesn't because we are shipping from
> apt.postgresql.org a 9.3 version of libpq.

I don't believe the 9.3 version of libpq is the issue here at all, see
above..
Thanks,
    Stephen