Re: Append to a GUC parameter ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Append to a GUC parameter ?
Date
Re: Append to a GUC parameter ?
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/05/2014 06:25 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I'm not sold on += as the syntax to use.  It just needs to be something
> different from =.

Alternative is to use "+" in the value string:

shared_preload_libraries = '+auto_explain'

... not sure that's better.

The alternative is to add an "append" keyword to everything, which
strikes me as yucky.

> But I am thinking that whatever it is, it would be
> required.

Yes, absolutely.

> The idea behing GUC_LIST_ADDITIVE is that += is only supported for
> variables that have that flag set.  If you tried to use += with other
> variables, an error would be raised.

Yes.

BTW, while there's unlikely to be a good reason to put search_path in
pg.conf with appends, there are a LOT of reasons to want to be able to
append to it during a session.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.