Append to a GUC parameter ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Append to a GUC parameter ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Using the 'include' keyword in postgresql.conf let's us do groovy things
like paste together pieces of  general purpose configs into the working file.

-- But since all we can do is set/reset the parameters the possibility  of concatenating fragments that use some of the
listparameters won't  work.

To wit; suppose we had a fragment for enabling auto_explain and another
for enabling pg_stat_statements.

Both of these require us to put something in shared_preload_libraries
and both make use of custom_variable_classes.

Just FWIW...  Something like...

shared_preload_libraries += auto_explain

Would do the trick.

I've  never heard this mentioned before so presume not many have
contemplated this.

Comments?

Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting