Re: Index-only scans for multicolumn GIST - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Index-only scans for multicolumn GIST
Date
Re: Index-only scans for multicolumn GIST  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/21/2014 10:47 PM, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> Hi, hackers!
> There are new results of my work on GSoC project "Index-only scans for
> GIST".
> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Index-only-scans-for-GIST-td5804892.html
>
> Repository is
> https://github.com/lubennikovaav/postgres/tree/indexonlygist2
> Patch is in attachments.
> It includes indexonlyscan for multicolumn GiST. It works correctly -
> results are the same with another scan plans.
> Fetch() method is realized for box and circle opclasses
> Improvement for circle opclass is not such distinct as for box opclass,
> because of recheck.

For a circle, the GiST index stores a bounding box of the circle. The
new fetch function reverses that, calculating the radius and center of
the circle from the bounding box.

Those conversions lose some precision due to rounding. Are we okay with
that? Floating point math is always subject to rounding errors, but
there's a good argument to be made that it's not acceptable to get a
different value back when the user didn't explicitly invoke any math
functions.

As an example:

create table circle_tbl (c circle);
create index circle_tbl_idx on circle_tbl using gist (c);
insert into circle_tbl values ('1.23456789012345,1.23456789012345,1e300');

postgres=# set enable_seqscan=off; set enable_bitmapscan=off; set
enable_indexonlyscan=on;
SET
SET
SET
postgres=# select * from circle_tbl ;       c
(1 row)

postgres=# set enable_indexonlyscan=off;
SET
postgres=# select * from circle_tbl ;                      c
---------------------------------------------- <(1.23456789012345,1.23456789012345),1e+300>
(1 row)

- Heikki