Re: Migration error " invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xff " from mysql 5.5 to postgresql 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Migration error " invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xff " from mysql 5.5 to postgresql 9.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/4/2014 2:12 AM, sunpeng wrote:
> Thank you, friend, I use  --hex-blob :
> mysqldump -v -nt --complete-insert=TRUE --compatible=postgresql
> --default-character-set=utf8 --skip-add-locks --compact
> --no-create-info --skip-quote-names --hex-blob -uroot -p test
> videorecresult >dbdata.sql
> to dump mysql data.
> And replace blob data "0x...." into "E'\\xx....'" to load data into
> postgresql.

regardless of all that, 0xFF is not a valid UTF8 character code. perhaps
you should store the data in a postgres BYTEA, or at least use character
encoding SQLASCII (which is to say, no encoding, bytes in == bytes out.)