Re: Git history author/committer fields (was Re: msdtc with 32-bit app fails to resolve in-doubt or not-notifed transactions) - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Git history author/committer fields (was Re: msdtc with 32-bit app fails to resolve in-doubt or not-notifed transactions)
Date
In response to Re: Git history author/committer fields (was Re: msdtc with 32-bit app fails to resolve in-doubt or not-notifed transactions)  ("Inoue, Hiroshi" <inoue@tpf.co.jp>)
List pgsql-odbc
On 06/27/2014 07:04 AM, Inoue, Hiroshi wrote:
> (2014/06/26 16:49), Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 06/25/2014 05:26 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>>> Please merge branch fix-syswow64-msdtc from my repo at
>>> https://github.com/ringerc/psqlODBC.git .
>>
>> Oh, and while you do that, please avoid creating a merge commit. I hate
>> those merge commits when I browse the git history, they're just useless
>> noise. Please use "git rebase" to clean up the history in your local
>> repository first.
>
> Hmm I'm using rebase when pulling from origin/master and using merge
> when pulling from other branches. Is there a better way?
> Is using merge with --ff-only option a better way as Craig mentioned?

Hmm. I think you can rebase over origin/master after merging Craig's
branch. That should remove the merge commit.

>> Also, it would be good to reset the author/committer information in the
>> commit before pushing. Looking at the git history the other day, I was
>> quite surprised to see commits from Craig, as I didn't know he's a
>> psqlodbc committer. Then I realized that you had merged those commits
>> from Craig's github repository :-). You can do "git commit --amend
>> --reset" to reset them before pushing, but once you do that, should add
>> a line in the commit message itself to give credit for the author of the
>> patch.
>>
>> That's what we do with the PostgreSQL main repository, anyway. We could
>> also decide to use the git's Author field to track the original author,
>> but at least the Committer field should reflect the actual psqlodbc
>> committer. I'm not sure how to change that without changing the Author
>> field, though.
>
> git commit --amend seems to change the Committer field as Craig
> mentioned. Is it OK to push the change by Craig with the Author Craig
> and the Committer by me?

Fine with me.

- Heikki