Re: Git history author/committer fields (was Re: msdtc with 32-bit app fails to resolve in-doubt or not-notifed transactions) - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Inoue, Hiroshi
Subject Re: Git history author/committer fields (was Re: msdtc with 32-bit app fails to resolve in-doubt or not-notifed transactions)
Date
In response to Git history author/committer fields (was Re: msdtc with 32-bit app fails to resolve in-doubt or not-notifed transactions)  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
Responses Re: Git history author/committer fields (was Re: msdtc with 32-bit app fails to resolve in-doubt or not-notifed transactions)  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
List pgsql-odbc
(2014/06/26 16:49), Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 06/25/2014 05:26 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> Please merge branch fix-syswow64-msdtc from my repo at
>> https://github.com/ringerc/psqlODBC.git .
>
> Oh, and while you do that, please avoid creating a merge commit. I hate
> those merge commits when I browse the git history, they're just useless
> noise. Please use "git rebase" to clean up the history in your local
> repository first.

Hmm I'm using rebase when pulling from origin/master and using merge
when pulling from other branches. Is there a better way?
Is using merge with --ff-only option a better way as Craig mentioned?

 > You can use "git push --dry-run" before the actual
> push to see what will be done. It will print the commit IDs that it
> would push, something like this:
>
> a87a7dc..de42ed4  master     -> origin/master
>
> You can then do "git log a87a7dc..de42ed4" to see those commits.

OK thanks.

> Also, it would be good to reset the author/committer information in the
> commit before pushing. Looking at the git history the other day, I was
> quite surprised to see commits from Craig, as I didn't know he's a
> psqlodbc committer. Then I realized that you had merged those commits
> from Craig's github repository :-). You can do "git commit --amend
> --reset" to reset them before pushing, but once you do that, should add
> a line in the commit message itself to give credit for the author of the
> patch.
>
> That's what we do with the PostgreSQL main repository, anyway. We could
> also decide to use the git's Author field to track the original author,
> but at least the Committer field should reflect the actual psqlodbc
> committer. I'm not sure how to change that without changing the Author
> field, though.

git commit --amend seems to change the Committer field as Craig
mentioned. Is it OK to push the change by Craig with the Author Craig
and the Committer by me?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan