Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 14/06/17 8:31, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Question: How should we handle the issues with East Asian languages
>> (i.e. Japanese, Chinese) and this Hint?  Should we just avoid hinting
>> for a selected list of languages which don't work well with levenshtein?
>>  If so, how do we get that list?
>
> I think that how useful Levenshtein distance is for users based in
> east Asia generally, and how useful this patch is to those users are
> two distinct questions. I have no idea how common it is for Japanese
> users to just use Roman characters as table and attribute names. Since
> they're very probably already writing application code that uses Roman
> characters (except in the comments, user strings and so on), it might
> make sense to do the same in the database. I would welcome further
> input on that question. I don't know what the trends are in the real
> world.

From what I've seen in the wild in Japan, Roman/ASCII characters are
widely used for object/attribute names, as generally it's much less
hassle than switching between input methods, dealing with different
encodings etc. The only place where I've seen Japanese characters widely
used is in tutorials, examples etc. However that's only my personal
observation for one particular non-Roman language.

Regards

Ian Barwick

-- Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services