Re: Mentioning CPU for Windows build in docs - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Inoue, Hiroshi
Subject Re: Mentioning CPU for Windows build in docs
Date
List pgsql-odbc
(2014/06/03 3:26), Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 06/02/2014 07:00 PM, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>> (2014/06/02 20:54), Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>>
>>> Huh? Really?
>>>
>>> Why did we switch? What's the advantage of MSBuild over nmake?
>>
>> For example, MSBuild can switch the environment (Platform,
>> VisualStudioVersion or platformToolset) easily. In fact
>> BuildAll.ps1(bat) builds both 32bit and 64bit drivers.
>> Or MSBuild can detect the changes of related files (e.g.
>> header files).
>>
>> IMHO nmake is needed only for vc9 or before.
>
> Well that makes one thing clear then: nobody cares about win32.mak
> anymore. win64.mak can be used to build both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries,
> and since the official binaries are built with the MSBuild method,
> keeping the old flags & other configuration you got with win32.mak is
> not important anymore. I'll go remove it.

We have ever used win32.mak for 32-bit binaries and win64.mak for
64-bit binaries with vc7(.1) or vc8 for a pretty long time.
The output directories were

    Release
    MultibyteRelease
    AMD64
    AMD64ANSI
.
Generated dlls in the directories are taken when installers are
built. I simply kept the correspondence when I introduced the
build system based on MSBuild. The 64-bit output directory has
been "AMD64" because old SDKs set CPU environment variable as
"AMD64" not "x64".

Though I don't object to switch the naming of directories, the
change should also be applied to the installer system.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan