Re: Mentioning CPU for Windows build in docs - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Mentioning CPU for Windows build in docs
Date
Re: Mentioning CPU for Windows build in docs  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
Re: Mentioning CPU for Windows build in docs  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-odbc
> On 06/02/2014 07:00 PM, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>> (2014/06/02 20:54), Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>>
>>> Huh? Really?
>>>
>>> Why did we switch? What's the advantage of MSBuild over nmake?
>>
>> For example, MSBuild can switch the environment (Platform,
>> VisualStudioVersion or platformToolset) easily. In fact
>> BuildAll.ps1(bat) builds both 32bit and 64bit drivers.
>> Or MSBuild can detect the changes of related files (e.g.
>> header files).
>>
>> IMHO nmake is needed only for vc9 or before.
>
> Well that makes one thing clear then: nobody cares about win32.mak
> anymore. win64.mak can be used to build both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries,
> and since the official binaries are built with the MSBuild method,
> keeping the old flags & other configuration you got with win32.mak is
> not important anymore. I'll go remove it.

Oh, hang on. There's a file called buildx86.ps1 in the top directory,
which calls "nmake /f win32.mak ...". So that's another PowerShell
script, but it doesn't use MSBuild; it uses nmake.

My guess: you created buildx86.ps1 and buildx64.ps1 first. Later, you
created buildAll.ps1, and made completely independent of the old
makefiles, but never got around to changing buildx86.ps1 and
buildx64.ps1 to use the new build method.

May I remove buildx86.ps1 and buildx64.ps1? I don't think we need yet
another way to build on Windows..

- Heikki