Re: Changeset Extraction v7.6.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Changeset Extraction v7.6.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/1/14, 10:49 AM, Euler Taveira wrote:
> On 01-06-2014 02:57, Andres Freund wrote:

~2TBdatabase. There's no way that'd work with one snapshot. (Granted, copy performance in londiste is rather
lackluster,but still...)

>>> Just keep in mind that one of the use cases for logical replication is upgrades.
>>
>> Should still be fine. Make a physical copy; pg_upgrade; catchup via
>> logical rep.
>>
> Have in mind that it is not an option if you want to copy *part* of the
> database(s) (unless you have space available and want to do the cleanup
> after upgrade). In a near future, a (new) tool could do (a) copy schema,
> (b) accumulate modifications while copying data, (c) copy whole table
> and (d) apply modifications for selected table(s)/schema(s). Such a tool
> could even be an alternative to pg_upgrade.

There's also things that pg_upgrade doesn't handle, so it's not always an option.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net