Re: Changeset Extraction v7.6.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: Changeset Extraction v7.6.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01-06-2014 02:57, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-06-01 00:50:58 -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:

database.There's no way that'd work with one snapshot. (Granted, copy performance in londiste is rather lackluster, but
still...)

>>> I'd marked this email as todo:
>>> If you have such a huge database you can, with logical decoding at
>>> least, use a basebackup using pg_basebackup or pg_start/stop_backup()
>>> and roll forwards from that... That'll hopefull make such huge copies
>>> much faster.
>
>> Just keep in mind that one of the use cases for logical replication is upgrades.
>
> Should still be fine. Make a physical copy; pg_upgrade; catchup via
> logical rep.

Have in mind that it is not an option if you want to copy *part* of the
database(s) (unless you have space available and want to do the cleanup
after upgrade). In a near future, a (new) tool could do (a) copy schema,
(b) accumulate modifications while copying data, (c) copy whole table
and (d) apply modifications for selected table(s)/schema(s). Such a tool
could even be an alternative to pg_upgrade.

--   Euler Taveira                   Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/  PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento