Re: How to solve the problem "error reading c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\postgresql.conf during installation" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to solve the problem "error reading c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\postgresql.conf during installation"
Date
In response to How to solve the problem "error reading c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\postgresql.conf during installation"  (Varuna Seneviratna <varunaseneviratna@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 05/18/2014 03:00 PM, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
> When I encountered the error in reading the postgresql.conf file I
> googled and found the answer at error reading c:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\postgresql.conf during installation
> <http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/49782810.9050309@cpttm.org.mo>.But
> I am unable to execute the answer since when I run the command "*runas
> /user:postgres**cmd*" and enteredpassword of the superuser(postgres)
> which I entered at the time of the installation I get the following as
> the output.I am on Windows 7 starter
>
> Attempting to start cmd as user "<admin-account-folder-name>\postgres" ...
> RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run - cmd
> 1326: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

So it there actually a postgres system user?

If so does the following apply? Note the *[]* section(my addition):

http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.3/pginstguide/PostgreSQL_Installation_Guide-07.htm#P132_8236

"PostgreSQL uses the password specified on the Password window for both
the database superuser and the PostgreSQL service account.

PostgreSQL runs as a service in the background; the PostgreSQL service
account is named postgres. *[If you have already created a service
account with the name postgres, you must specify same password as the
existing password for the postgres service account.]*"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com