Re: PgSQL shut down - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ecomeau@signiant.com (Eric)
Subject Re: PgSQL shut down
Date
List pgsql-general
smarlowe@qwest.net ("Scott Marlowe") wrote in message news:<1087537256.28062.3.camel@localhost.localdomain>...
> On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 23:03, Deepa K wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I am using Postgresql 7.1.3. PgSQL server gets shut down once the hard
> > disk space becomes full. Is thers any particular reason to shut down the
> > server? Can any one help me on this.
>
> That's a lot like saying "I've got a 1935 Chrysler and the windows are
> pane glass" in terms of how old 7.1.3 is.  That far back I don't think
> the backend knew what to do when it ran out of space.  It's likely not
> shutting down but crashing, or something in between.
>
> Do you have recent enough backups to not need the data in the exact form
> on the database, or do you need what's on there right now?  Try putting
> it on a larger partition and seeing if the database will come up and
> run.  But this is so far back, I'm not even sure what to do to get it
> back up any more.
>
> You should really look at upgrading when you get a chance, after we get
> this fixed...

Same thing will happen under v7.2.4 as well, database will shutdown if
it runs out of disk space.

It won't shutdown if the disk is 100% full and you are only doing
"Selects" my experience has been.....

So when the disk goes to 100%, just don't write the DB anymore and it
won't shutdown ;-)