Re: PgSQL shut down - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PgSQL shut down
Date
List pgsql-general
ecomeau@signiant.com (Eric) writes:
> smarlowe@qwest.net ("Scott Marlowe") wrote in message news:<1087537256.28062.3.camel@localhost.localdomain>...
>> On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 23:03, Deepa K wrote:
>>> I am using Postgresql 7.1.3. PgSQL server gets shut down once the hard
>>> disk space becomes full. Is thers any particular reason to shut down the
>>> server? Can any one help me on this.
>>
>> That's a lot like saying "I've got a 1935 Chrysler and the windows are
>> pane glass" in terms of how old 7.1.3 is.

> Same thing will happen under v7.2.4 as well, database will shutdown if
> it runs out of disk space.

7.2.4 isn't exactly modern either.  AFAIK 7.4 handles this okay...
Chris Kings-Lynne found a corner-case bug back in January, but at that
point his database had already survived something like 40 minutes from
the first out-of-disk-space error.

You *will* get a panic if you run out of space for WAL, but under normal
load conditions the WAL space requirements stay constant and so even
a zero-space situation doesn't trigger a panic.  It's safer if you can
separate WAL and data onto different filesystems, though.

            regards, tom lane