Re: Json(b) extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Json(b) extension
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/24/2014 03:46 AM, Dmitry Dolgov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you know, PostgreSQL introduced Json(b) support at the 9.4 version [1],
> and hstore v2.0 saved in separate repository [2]. But although PostgreSQL
> has this support at the core level, there are many useful functions, which
> wasn't ported to Json(b) from hstore v2.0 and json. Here [3], I've made a
> review of the missing Json(b) functions, which can be implemented. This
> list can be updated in the future, of course. I want to implement the
> missing functions in the form of extension (e.g. contrib/jsonx).

Thanks for making this list!

> What do you think about this?

I think you should do it as a pgxn extension, for now.  For it to be in
contrib/ or core, we'd need to argue extensively about the names of
operators and functions, which will take a while.    If your goal is to
make this functionality available as soon as possible to users, an
external extension is the way to go.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.