Re: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >>This is not our fault, and I don't want us to get caught up in trying
> >>to fix a fundamentally broken concept --- which is what a generic
> >>"uuidserial" API would be.  If you try to paper over the difficulties
> >>here, they'll just bite you on the rear someday.
> >
> >But we have non-colliding generation technology for OIDs in system
> >catalogs.  We could try to reuse the idea in a UUID generator: grab one
> >value, try to insert; if it fails generate a new one, lather, rinse,
> >repeat.
>
> Umm, UUID stands for Universally Unique IDentifier. That would
> hardly be *universally* unique.

I don't understand your point.  I'm only replying to Tom's assertion
that UUID generation might not be all that unique after all (or, in
other words, AIUI, that the "universally unique" part of the name is
wishful thinking and not an actual property of the real thing.)