Re: Getting query plan alternatives from query planner? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Eric Schwarzenbach
Subject Re: Getting query plan alternatives from query planner?
Date
List pgsql-performance
I don't know how anyone else feels about this, as I don't think I've
seen this ever suggested, but my ideal would be a way to configure the
database to recognize specific queries and to have a way of influencing
its plan choice for that query. I'm intentionally wording that last part
vaguely, as I'm not sure what would be best or practical there. Ideally,
perhaps, would be to be able to store a particular plan for that query
and have it always use it.

I don't want either hints OR fence distortions in my application code,
which might have to work with different versions of PostgreSQL with
different optimization characteristics, different servers with different
performance characteristics, or even different database products
entirely. A solution to a server-side problem should live on the server
not on the client. That's why I've always preferred PostgeSQL's server
settings for tweaking the optimizer to the hints offered by other products.