Re: Mysterious DB reset - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: Mysterious DB reset
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/06/2014 09:33 AM, Israel Brewster wrote:
> For starters, this happened again this morning (no data prior to 4:45 am and sequence reset), so whatever is going on
appearsto be reoccurring. Also, I forgot to mention if it is significant: this is running on slackware liunux 14.0

> Also odd is that my cleanup script runs at 1am. I have records of there
> being new data in the database up to 3:51am, but the oldest record
> currently in the DB is from 4:45am (as specified by the default of now()
> on the column). So I know records were added after my delete command
> ran, but before this reset occurred.

A shot in the dark...

Have you searched /etc/crontab, root's crontab, PostgreSQL's crontab and
the crontabs of any automatic scripts that connect. I'm not sure about
Slackware but Red Hat and Centos run the cron.daily scripts at (wait for
it...) just after 4am.

Some of the default daily scripts like logrotate can have "side effects"
like restarting the service that writes to the log file being rotated.

Cheers,
Steve