Re: Mysterious DB reset - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Mysterious DB reset
Date
List pgsql-general
Israel Brewster-2 wrote
> So my question is, aside from someone going in and mucking about in the
> wee hours of the morning, what could possibly cause this behavior? What
> sort of event could cause all data to be deleted from the table, and the
> sequence to be reset? Especially while there is an active connection?
> Thanks for any ideas, however wild or off the wall :-)

Nothing so far makes this likely but any chance there is some kind of
Virtual Machine setup in place where all the changes from a given day are
being lost because the VM is resetting back to "factory defaults"?

Also, you say you perform daily pg_dumps.  Have you tried loading these up
and see what their contents are?

Ultimately the log files are going to be needed to do any meaningful
forensic work though.

Any chance you may been debugging the wrong box/database?  That is always
something worth verifying and usually not the difficult.

David J.