Re: On DNS for postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: On DNS for postgresql.org
Date
Re: On DNS for postgresql.org  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sep 6, 2006, at 5:29 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Also the servers are volunteer provided, so
>>> it's not really anyones business other than the server owners.
>> Given that the entire postgresql.org infrastructure just went off the
>> air because of what sure looked to me like an error in
>> administration, I submit that it _is_ others' business how the
>> infrastructure is managed
>
> When you commit to providing services to this community, it is
> absolutely the business of that community on how the infrastructure
> is managed.

It is the business of the community that the services provided are
adequate and stable, certainly. That's become rather obvious recently.

Irrelevant details of the server configuration that do not directly
affect those services aren't really something to gossip about on a
public mailing list, though.

The two are quite different things.

> The people offering these services have a responsibility to insure
> that their infrastructure is well managed. If people are not up to
> that responsibility, there are plenty of providers willing to take
> it on.

Cheers,
   Steve