Re: Dump pageinspect to 1.2: page_header with pg_lsn datatype - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Dump pageinspect to 1.2: page_header with pg_lsn datatype
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/25/2014 06:52 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> (Not that it's this patch' responsibility to do that.)
> Definitely a different patch.
>
> Don't you think that this would break existing applications?

I hope there are no applications relying on pageinspect. It's a very
low-level tool. Or if someone has written a nice GUI around it, I'd like
to hear about it so that I can start using it :-).

> I see more flexibility to keep them as they are now, as integers,
> users can always tune their queries to do this post-processing with
> to_hex for them as they've (always?) been doing.

Agreed. With an int4, you can more easily check for a particular bit etc.

- Heikki