Re: Storing the password in .pgpass file in an encrypted format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Storing the password in .pgpass file in an encrypted format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/21/2014 03:54 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Depends on how you define external utility. It certainly needs to be
> somehow integrated with the tools using .pgpass. Do you have something
> particular in mind?

Yeah, I was thinking that the ideal would to be to make this generically
pluggable, like giving the ability to use a unix socket or executable
call for pgpass instead of only looking at a file.  I don't think we
should implement any particular wallet technology, just make it possible
to call an external application.  I think implementing our own wallet
would be a big mistake.

I'm not sure how broad the actual use case for this is -- most folks
with sophisticated password needs use AD or LDAP -- but if someone wants
to write the code, I'd be for accepting it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.