unusual use of "path" in pg_verifybackup? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject unusual use of "path" in pg_verifybackup?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
pg_verifybackup and the associated backup manifest functionality uses
"path", "path name", etc. throughout where other components might just
say "file", "file name".  This isn't wrong, if you follow POSIX
terminology, but it's a bit unusual, I think.  Specifically, option
naming like

   -i, --ignore=RELATIVE_PATH  ignore indicated path
   -m, --manifest-path=PATH    use specified path for manifest
   -w, --wal-directory=PATH    use specified path for WAL files

might make one think that there is a search path involved.

Thoughts?  Is there a deeper reason behind this, or should we dial this
back a bit perhaps?