Re: Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/04/2014 11:58 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On February 4, 2014 10:50:10 PM CET, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No.
>>
>> So the obvious question is: where, if anywhere, do the two efforts
>> (this patch, and Fujii's patch) overlap? Does Fujii have any concerns
>> about this patch as it relates to his effort to compress FPIs?
>
> I think there's zero overlap. They're completely complimentary features. It's not like normal WAL records have an
irrelevantvolume.

Correct. Compressing a full-page image happens on the first update after
a checkpoint, and the diff between old and new tuple is not used in that
case.

Compressing full page images makes a difference if you're doing random
updates across a large table, so that you only update each buffer 1-2
times. This patch will have no effect in that case. And when you update
the same page many times between checkpoints, the full-page image is
insignificant, and this patch has a big effect.

- Heikki