Re: 2 problems of my postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: 2 problems of my postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
zenith siea wrote:

> see my operations first:
> [root@jhxz postgresql-8.0.8]# su postgres
> bash-2.05b$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> initdb: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4: cannot open
> bash-2.05b$ service postgresql status
> postmaster stopped
> bash-2.05b$ service postgresql start
>
> An old version of the database format was found.
> You need to upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.
> See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.0.8/README.rpm-dist for more
> information.
> bash-2.05b$
>
> Question 1:
> error in initting my pgsq database, libssl.so.4, what is it?
> what shall i do?

libssl.so.4 is a shared library that is needed by PostgreSQL.

What you should do:

- Tell us which operating system you have.
- Tell us which version of PostgreSQL you have installed.
- Tell us how you installed it: RPM? From where did you get it?
- Tell us if there was a different version of PostgreSQL on the same
machine before?

For the ssl problem, you need to install OpenSSL.

> Question 2:
> the old version of database format, i have deleted old
> database"/usr/local/pgsql/data",
> but why do pgsq complain about it?
> there are no database in my pgsq now and no database can be updated.
> I have looked into the file
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.0.8/README.rpm-dist
> and found nothing about this quesiton, is it this file the
> right manual?
> what should i do?

Is the environment variable PGDATA set? If yes, to what value?

In /etc/init.d/postgresql, what is the value of the -D option
for postmaster?

There is probably an old database there.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe